Maternal Health and Education
Safe Pregnancy and Birth is the Nepali mobile app to teach basic pregnancy related information in Nepali and English language to Nepali speaking population and health workers alike. This is an unofficial Nepali translated version of Hesperian Health Guides’ award-winning books which provides accurate, up-to-date information for health educators and expectant mothers in low-resource settings. Developed by and for Nepali population it provides life-saving information in clear, accessible language and an intuitive and friendly navigation — perfect for working with people with varied literacy levels in Nepal.
सुरक्षित गर्भावस्था र जन्म नेपाली भाषी जनसंख्या र स्वास्थ्यकर्मीहरूलाई समान रूपले नेपाली भाषामा गर्भावस्था सम्बन्धी जानकारी दिने नेपाली मोबाइल एप हो। यो प्रख्यात हेस्पेरियन हेल्थ गाईड्स पुस्तकहरूको अनौपचारिक नेपाली अनुवादित संस्करण हो जसले स्वास्थ्य संसाधन शिक्षक र कम संसाधन परिभेशमा गर्भवती आमाहरूका लागि सही, अप-टु-डेट जानकारी प्रदान गर्दछ। यसले स्पष्ट, पहुँच योग्य भाषा र सहज र मैत्री नेविगेशनमा जीवन बचाउने जानकारी प्रदान गर्दछ ।
• Week-by-week pregnancy calendar for fetal growth and pregnancy related changes.
• How to stay healthy during pregnancy and its common complains.
• Recognizing danger signs during pregnancy, birth, and after birth
• Simple directions on what to do when a danger sign arises
• When to refer a woman to emergency care
• Over 20 “How-To’s” step-by-step instructions
– Due Date Calculator (from LMP)
– BMI Calculator
– APGAR Score Calculator
– Infant/Neonate Dehydration Scale
– Vaccination Schedule in Nepal
– Available Family Planning Services in Nepal (in detail)
– Postpartum Depression Scale
– Weight Tracker (database)
Bilingual digital tools in English and Nepali.
Phase I – Tools (Dec 2020 release)
- Estimated Due Date Calculator (via LMP) in English (AD) and in Nepali (Bikram Sambat)
- Body Mass Index (BMI) Calculator
- APGAR Score
- Nepal Vaccination Schedule
- WHO Dehydration Classifications
- Edinburg Scoring for Postnatal Depression Scale
Phase II – Planned Tools ( Dec 2021 release)
- Pregnancy weight gain tracker
- Family Planning Services Choice Helper
Phase III – Planned Tools (August 2022 release)
- Pregnancy related hypertension/pressure tracker
- Pregnancy related diabetes/blood sugar tracker
- Fetal Kick Counter
- Contraction Counter
With my limited knowledge I had hopes, to solve people’s problem. This soon became nearly impossible and my best option now is to open up, ask for help, collaborate and move forward with like minded people who want to help solve problems. Safe Pregnancy and Birth App for Nepal started out as an idea to help a particular population group through education and technology.
To help midwives, nurses, and health care providers along with pregnant women understand and learn about pregnancy, birth and newborn. To be a tool for help. I have started the initial code (version 1) and publication in iOS and Android App store. Will soon approach other people for help and collaboration, for a more comprehensive package.
individual user reviews
..I wish I had access to an app like this when I was in medical school. For anyone working in healthcare in resource poor settings, this can be a life saver. This is a brave, substantial first attempt…Addu Giri, 09/19/2020
Its a great app…lots of valuable information for nepalese women who might have questions and concerns during their pregnancy!! It’s easy to navigate and is very comprehensive…you can add in your LMP to get your estimated due dateShoe-lei-na, 10/29/2020